Kashmir Truth Be Told Blog
Yus neereth gassan, pheereth cha yevaano: morda che gassan zinde (Kashmiri saying)

2/12/09

They robbed two hours of my life, and other observations

A few stories caught my attention these past few days, and therefore this post is to express my views on those issues. This also reminds me that if any reader would like to have my views on any particular event or story, just send me a link of that story and I'll post my views on that. I usually read my paper early in the morning after I go to the local Kandur, and get my fresh lavass, and on my way back, find the newspapers lying at my door step. I prefer the real 'paper variety' of the newspapers but usually browse the internet for other sources of news as well. The friendly 'Akhbar wolle" drops three papers at my door step each morning: Greater Kashmir, Rising Kashmir, and Etalaat.

Although the main news items are usually repeated in all these papers, I skim through the opinion articles as well, and feel quite proud that there are some very good writers with whom I share similar views about the issues they are writing about. This week I saw many issues being discussed that I feel just as strongly about; one article that particularly stood out was a write-up by Samreen Mushtaq who wrote in the GK about private coaching being unethically transformed by teachers into money making avenues (click here to read the article).

There was another article that caught my eye, although it was an unconventional one. It was an article by Ghulam Nabi Khayal about a movie that he had seen in Delhi and had liked so much that he was persuaded to write an article about it. The movie is called 'Troy''. Based on Mr. Khayal's strong recommendation, which was even more emphasised by the title of his article, "If you haven’t seen TROY, You haven’t seen a Movie", I went out and bought a copy of the movie for 45 Rupees from Lambert Lane. Not only do I feel that Mr. Khayal owes me the 45 Rupees that I spent for purchasing the movie, I also hold him responsible for the two hours that were robbed from my life while watching the most useless movie ever made in the history of mankind! I cannot fathom what Mr. Khayal saw in that movie. It was horrible! But I guess movies are a matter of personal tastes; it's like some people like Lavass, and some like Csott; some prefer Csochwoor, whereas others prefer Kulche! (click here to read the article)

On a more serious note however, Ms Samreen Mushtaq's article brought an important issue to the forefront, and I wish the government would take these concerns of citizens seriously and act upon them. Before I go ahead and repeat what Ms Mushtaq eloquently explained in her article, I would like to pose a very rhetorical question: what is the most basic and fundamental responsibility of any government? A good answer to this question would most probably include: "to protect its citizens". I won't go off on a tangent and start off on an unrelated topic of human rights violations in Kashmir, which certainly is the most important crisis in Kashmir at the moment, but is the topic of another post coming up shortly. Therefore, for this post, I would like to stay on topic and argue that it is the responsibilty of the goverment to protect Kashmiris from unscrupulous people trying to profit from something which is a necessity - education.

We are all aware that the government regulates the prices of essential commodities such as meat, food items, milk and so on and so forth. This is done to prevent unscrupulous people from profiteering by hording these items and monopolizing their prices because the public has no choice but to purchase these items for everyday living. The key word here is "no choice"; and hence these are labelled essential commodities. Similarly, education is a necessity that young Kashmiris do not have a choice but to achieve by all means possible. Why should'nt similar laws be applied to education as well?

I propose that a law be enacted to completely ban private tuitions by all teachers. If these unscrupulous and unethical teachers and professors are unable to teach their subjects during regular class hours, then they have no right to teach that subject at all. If at all extra time is needed, then the school premises should be used and private coaching be done free of charge there during school hours. We are well aware how these teachers employ substandard teaching practices while at school just so the students have no choice but to seek private coaching with that teacher at his residence or coaching center, which ends up being on an average between 1000 - 1500 Rupees per subject. If students approach these petty teachers during school hours to seek help with a problem or understanding a concept, there are usually subliminal inferences from that teacher that the student should attend private tuitions that are offered by him.

There can be no justification that the teachers can provide to let them get away with this travesty.This is absolute robbery. The youth, who simply want to gain an education are witnessing a grotesque example of unethical behaviour by those who are supposed to impart them with values so these youth become responsible and steadfast citizens of Kashmir. On the contrary, these unscrupulous teachers and professors are setting a bad example of "money talks" behaviour, which the youth themselves might replicate later on in the future while practicing their own professions.

For more info

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea. But would it be fair to conduct clasess after work hours without any payment.In your article you want to bill Mr. khayal for wasting your 2 hrs.We know that not all students have equal grasping power. Some need more push, more suopport and motivation to understand things which others undertand easily. Instead of giving an option of FREE classess, we need to change the whole educational system in such a way that there should be no need for extra classes.I think as a student, one wastes lot of time in wathing TV,vain talks, disproportinate time spent for cricket,footbal and other sports etc. Above all, most of us do not want to live a disciplined life where we know what time we do what work and for how long.Islam teaches us to account for each and every moment. In short, we are not focused when we do very important things, being in school is one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Ajaz Ahmed,
    I agree that no one should work after work hours for free, what I meant was if some student requires more help in understanding a particular concept, the teacher should make themselves available in the school or college premises during work hours, and students should be encouraged to seek help there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The British Pakistani community is recognised as probably al-Qaeda's best mechanism for launching an attack against North America.

    Do not have too many hopes.....

    LOL

    ReplyDelete